-
August 4th, 2001, 07:27 PM
#1
Inactive Member
The Canon 1014E has a hutter angle of 150 deg, 75 deg, and 37.5 deg.
So my question is: do you only want to decrease the shutter angle when you are filming facing the sun or when you are filming motion and don't want bluriness? Or are there other times when you'd want to decrease the shutter angle? Like when you are outside in general? I figure that shooting Kodachrome will take all the light it can get so it would be best just to have the camera shutter open to 150 deg all the time.
Any info is greatly appreciated,
Scott
-
August 4th, 2001, 08:04 PM
#2
Inactive Member
As you noted, decreasing the shutter angle will make each frame sharper, motion wise. This is handy if you are doing special effects where you need to rotoscope the footage later and the blur would get in the way. Opening the shutter for a little extra blur is kind of nice on fast pans, especially if you are transferring on a Rank, which can sometimes strobe on vertical edges as they sweep across the screen. Other than that, "season to taste" as my wife would say.
Roger
-
August 5th, 2001, 09:41 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Yeah, I wouldn't mess with the shutter angle, unless you're looking for that particular effect, because it's pretty dramatic.
Check out the film Traffic & Gladiator.
Traffic:
There's a scene in Mexico, where the camera is shooting a full shot, and people are walking by close to the camera (just extras).
They look really weird, kind of strobing like.
Interesting, but I wouldn't do this in most stories.
Gladiator:
Battle scenes were shot with varying shutter angles, and frame rates from 9fps to 80or something. You can see the fast motion shots have that same type of stuttering, freeze frame strobing type look, which actually, they just used the same technique from Saving Private Ryan battle scenes.
Read American Cinematographer every month, cover to cover. You will pick up a lot of details in those articles.
The shutter angle is what the fade in/out, and dissolve features use to control the exposure. On my Nikon R-10, you could manually control it also, but like you said, with K-40 you need all the light you can get, and a 175 degree shutter angle is not a huge opening like the Nizo's & Bauer 715XL-S (my favourites!).
It would be cool to use for action sequences though: do the same thing as gladiator, screw around with shutter angle and frame rates. You'll be constantly messing with exposure though, because all this will change how much light is hitting the film.
Matt Pacini
-
August 5th, 2001, 10:06 PM
#4
HB Forum Moderator
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Pacini:
and a 175 degree shutter angle is not a huge opening like the Nizo's & Bauer 715XL-S (my favourites!).
Matt Pacini<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uh oh, I think I bought Your Canon 814XLS from you on e-bay last summer....
It too has a 220 degree shutter angle!, yet you sold it...hmmmmmmmm
Now I'm worried....is this the camera you dropped into the dam??....
Or something like that.
Hey, maybe it's a collectors item!
-Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 06, 2001).]
-
August 5th, 2001, 11:25 PM
#5
Inactive Member
Could be worse..you could have one of the dredded bow-tie shutters found on some of the early CP-16's..ouch....can you say streaks
Neil
JOCKO FILMS
-
August 6th, 2001, 07:06 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Oh God, don't say that!
I have to shoot my next film on a CP-16 for school!!! 
eegad.
Sc
tt
-
August 6th, 2001, 07:25 AM
#7
HB Forum Moderator
I hear the 16mm Canon Scoopics are pretty good, almost as good as a cheap Super-8 camera.
Maybe you should try one of those.
-Alex
[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 06, 2001).]
-
August 6th, 2001, 01:42 PM
#8
Inactive Member
Hey, if it's a CP16R, you don't have to worry. I rebuild them for clients all the time and they're really well made. The early shutters were funky. The later 16Rs are just like any other spinning mirrored shutter. Super quiet too. You won't find any camera more quite for the money, in my opinion.
Roger
-
August 6th, 2001, 07:54 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I've read that a reduced shutter angle can be good for static shots of moving water... it really crispens up the flow. I've never tried it myself, but in theory it makes sense.
Marc S.
-
August 6th, 2001, 08:37 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Roger,
There is a CP-16R for auction on e-bay..at last check the reserve was met at 350.00..I liked when they went to the 170 half moon shutter..I used them alot in school..I liked them...whitehouseAV will probably outbid everyone ..they allways do
Neil
JOCKO FILMS
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks